Happy Inspired Wednesday Chic Readers! Hope you’re all having a fabulous week so far :)!
Once we decided on going to Cambodia for a part of our honeymoon Kevin asked me if I had ever heard the song “Holiday in Cambodia” by the Dead Kennedy’s to which I responded “No.” He played it for me and now anytime I think or say “Holiday in Cambodia” the chorus to the song is all I hear! Does that ever happen to you when you think of a phrase/sentence and realize it’s a lyric to a song you know? And then the song pops into your head. It happens to me a lot!
Ok now to the good part of this post!
Here are some travel tips and some of my favorite moments (part 1) from our honeymoon in Cambodia:
1) Getting blessed by a holy woman and a female nun in two different temples! It was very cool and spiritual. I was into it (duhh)! Both women who blessed us were so sweet and kind. They both thought we looked extremely young to be married ;) haha.
They blessed us and our marriage which I thought was so lovely. I’m currently still rocking my colorful string bracelets that they tied on my wrist :).
2) Hiring Chet as our private tour guide for two days. Literally hire him if you’re planning a trip to Siem Reap…you will be so extremely happy that you did!
That is all you need to know. Seriously he’s wonderful! He tells you everything from facts to stories and more about all of the sights and temples you see. You can ask him as many questions as you’d like and he knows all of the other tour guides and most people around the places we visited. When I asked him if he was married he said, “No money, no honey!” He’s funny, kind, intelligent, passionate about his country, speaks very good English and knows all the best spots to take your picture (that pic of us holding the “gem” light was all him!). His ratings of “Excellent” on Trip Advisor are completely legit and well deserved. He is an awesome tour guide!!!
3) Seeing a million insanely gorgeous wats! Or, as we say in English, temples. We honestly saw like 20+ but they were all so different, intriguing and delightful!
4) Smiling Buddhas!!! I love that some of the temples had smiling Buddhas. It’s refreshing to see that even in a temple/place of worship Buddhists displayed one of their philosophies of loving kindness so appropriately.
5) Our wonderful hotel! We stayed at the Golden Temple Residence which is a boutique hotel and I highly recommend it if you decide to visit Cambodia! The staff was so friendly and cheerful. They knew we were there to celebrate our honeymoon and went above and beyond for our room with a bottle of wine, a fruit basket, roses on the bed and the most elaborate towel display of love swans I’ve ever seen! Their pretty pool with a swim up bar under waterfalls is pretty great as well. And a huge plus is that you can walk to the night market in like 2 minutes!
Ok Part 2 will be coming soon so get ready for some more insights :)!
xoxo “It’s a Holiday in Cambodia, It’s tough, kid, but it’s life” *see the song is still in my head* Sera :)